2. Ask them which scale (i.e. large- everyday or small- atomic) they think the electromagnetic pulse is talking about. Answer: inside the atom are electromagnetic forces acting between electrically charged parts of atoms, such as electrons and protons.
3. Have a discussion on the nature of the nucleus and which fundamental forces come into play. Introducing the strong nuclear force and the weaker electromagnetic force, which is the force of repulsion between like charges.
4. Also discuss what the electromagnetic forces are responsible for: including the structure of atoms, chemical change, and electricity and magnetism.
5. How does electromagnetic force affect your life? Electromagnetism plays a role in each of these: magnetism, listening to the radio, a balloon sticking to a wall after rubbing the balloon, friction, x-rays, television, microwaves, light.
6. Discuss the clip in relation to a nuclear bomb, which cuases the same EMP and knowcks out electrical systems. Discuss how nuclear bombs are produced and how they are similar to the EMP from the clip.